Monday 7 January 2013

Blue Boy 1


(Author's note: this is the first of two stories about the same theme, here's a link to the second one http://garethsrorystorycubes.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/blue-boy-2.html :-)) 
This story was originally called 
The best laid plans of mice and men.
But for some reason it attracted a lot of spam. 



‘Oh I love this song.’ Peter announced. ‘Takes me back it does, takes me back.’ Peter was sharing a pint with his oldest friend Jamie in the backroom of the Crown. 
‘God yes we used to dance to this down the World's End. What was it 1996 something like that?’
‘1997.’ Peter said confidently ‘Ask me how I know.’
Jamie duly obliged, knowing Peter would no doubt tell him anyway.
‘It was when I was going out with Leah, remember Leah?’
Jamie nodded.
‘Ah Leah.’ Peter looked off into the distance, misty eyed, remembering the good times. ‘Probably the best looking girl I ever went out with, beautiful she was.’
Jamie nodded again, ‘and probably the maddest.’ There was no denying that Leah was beautiful but incredibly highly strung and very high maintenance.
‘And this song…I used to tell her if we ever had kids together they’d have her looks but my eyes.’
‘This song,’ said Jamie looking puzzled. ‘Why?’
‘Well cos I knew weren’t gonna stay together, we certainly weren’t gonna have kids, as you say she was a bit mental. So I thought that in the future if we met I could say the line from this song and it’d be funny.’
‘You plan your jokes that far ahead?’
‘Sometimes yeah. And right you’ll never guess what but I saw her about 6 months ago and said the line.’
‘What line?’
‘The line from this song.’
‘But there’s only one line in this song,’ said Jamie looking perplexed.
‘I know and it says "remember me? I’m the one who had your baby’s eyes" – see and I told her our kids would have my eyes….so I was the one who had her baby's eyes.’ Peter looked hopeful that his friend would see the genius but all he could see were the cogs whirring in Jamie's brain. 
‘No it bloody doesn’t.’ Jamie said finally.
‘What?’
‘It doesn’t bloody say that.’ repeated Jamie.
‘Yeah it does, listen.’
They sat and listened to the line repeated over and over again.
Jamie was the first to speak. ‘It says – "I’m the one who had your babies, ahhh."’
‘Don’t be daft, that doesn’t make any sense, of course he’d remember her if she’d had his babies.’
Like gunfighters at the OK Corral they both went for their phones. A Google duel would settle this once and for all.
Peter tapped at his phone, opening one lyric site after another, while Jamie sat back with a smug look on his face. Peter couldn’t bloody believe it. Each site had just the one line.
‘Well it’s no wonder she looked at me blank then.’ he said thinking back to his recent encounter with Leah. 
'I'm not sure that is the only reason.' Said Jamie with a smile. But Peter wasn't listening, he  shook his head in despair, gutted that his cunning plan from 16 years ago had become quite such a spectacular fail.

Here's the song - Remember me - Blue Boy 
Here are some lyric pages 

But hold on what's this?

No comments:

Post a Comment