Tuesday 22 April 2014

80s Night* (archive story)




Grr again Blogger has moved this post. - If you are looking for todays story click here.

This is the second in the 'me and my big mouth' series that I am running this week.
Also I quote from 2 songs, do you know them? Answers at the end.

There's no doubting I'm an idiot sometimes, there's also no doubting I'll do anything to pull a girl. Hailey was special, just 22 years old and a body to die for, and for some reason she was interested in a bloke 15 years older than her. Maybe it was my good looks and charm or maybe it was because I'd told her I was a poet. I've no idea why that particular lie was my fantasy of choice that day but it had worked a dream; Hailey was eating out of my palm. She obviously asked me for an example of my work,
I had to think fast, I mumbled a couple of lines.
Sitting in a corner in imperfect clothes
Trying not to pose
For the cameras and the girls
It's a glamorous world

It was from a long forgotten song that I was pretty sure she wouldn't have known and it seemed to do the trick, she looked suitably impressed.. I promised her more if she agreed to meet me for a drink later that week.
Of course she agreed.

We met in a video bar, not my choice of venue, but I wanted to look down with the kids so went along with her suggestion. The music was pretty bad they were playing Stevie Wonder when we came in.
We sat and chatted and when the subject inevitably got round to poetry, I fished out the 'poem' I'd prepared for her.
And then we touch much too much
This moment has been waiting for a long long time
Makes me shiver, it makes me quiver
This moment I'm so unsure
This moment I've waited for
Is it something you've been waiting for, waiting for too?
Michael Jackson blared out from the screens as she read the lines. It's beautiful she said and lay her hand on my arm. I knew then that if I played it cool, she'd be in my bed in the not too distant future. Kajagoogoo had replaced Jackson, their dodgy haired singer crooning about modern medicine, the blandness of their lyrics making the sultry romance of ‘my’ poem stand out even more.
I decided to nip to the toilet and then ask if she fancied going for a walk; knowing I could slip my arm through hers and then, when the time was right, our lips would meet.

I was stood at the urinal listening to the last few chords of Wham, VH1 were obviously having one of their many 80s hours and had chosen the worse of the 80s on this particular night. But then the nightmare happened. Wham finished and the next song started, it couldn't be, but it was. What were the chances? It was the second song I'd lifted the lyrics from. I finished what I was doing and zipped up. I didn't wash my hands, no time I needed to get back to the table and get Hailey out of the bar before she recognised those bloody lyrics. Just as I got to the table Hazel warbled out the words that Hailey was rereading on the paper in front of her. She looked up from the sheet, shook her head and went for the walk that I was going to suggest. The problem is she went alone.

Song 1 



Song 2

1 comment:

  1. How true this story is... not only do some men plagiarize ideas but share them with many women at the same time to have bigger fire power

    ReplyDelete