Thursday 27 June 2013

Why I'm here




When MI6 first told me they were interested in me spying for them I thought it was some kind of joke; one of my friends must have been setting me up. I mean me, a spy, really? I was more Jenny Bond than James Bond. But then I remembered I didn’t have any friends, so it couldn't have been a set up. It was true, they really did want me.
At interview they explained that my job as a teacher trainer already took me to places all around the world, it was perfect for what they needed; I could slip into places and slip away again unnoticed; a kind of invisible man, they obviously knew me too well.  I wouldn't so much be a spy, the explained, more a courier - delivering packages, picking up, passing on that kind of thing. There was some danger but the risks were minimal and I would be well-rewarded. I was 39, my life was drifting, I needed some excitement, something different, so, when at the end of the interview they offered me the job, I took it straight away despite the gruelling mental and physical training that would take a lazy so and so like me a bit of getting used to. 

Not that it was that exciting to be honest, there was no 'the pigeon flies tonight' style illicit meetings, no hot bond girls, just 'can I leave this package for Jon to pick up please' type operations. I wasn't exactly risking my life for queen and country; well I hadn't been, until now.

The sabbatical had been their idea, They were sure that a local agent had gone rogue and they wanted someone on the ground to keep an eye on him. I was spying on a spy. So off I went on a three month 'teaching job' arranged for me by 'the Company'. I had to explain to my new colleagues that I was taking a 'break' from my teacher training, getting back into the classroom.
Strangely my colleague twigged me as a spy straight away, but not for the government. Oh no, the paranoid fucks thought that I had been employed by the school to keep an eye on them. I played along with that, it added to my cover and it was fun, (see why I have no friends?)
Within a month I could tell the local guy had indeed gone rogue. He was living the James Bond lifestyle and the British government certainly didn't pay for that. But that wasn't the only sign, there was other evidence that I shan’t go into (official secrets and all that). I reported back to HQ and they told me I had to do the 'ultimate'. The training had prepared me for this but it still came as a shock, I had to kill another human being. So this is it, today was my last day of teaching, tomorrow I leave the country for good and right now, well I'm lining up my rifle ready to do the business.


6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - don'tcha hate that end of term stuff? Tidying CDs, bringing your summaries up to date, shooting colleagues. What a drag :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. All fantasies beside your "Spain memories"..which I think has your real feelings..
    ..BTW I'm glad that finally James Bond found a way to put audio without moving the story to the top :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I haven't worked it out, it is completely random, sometimes it puts it at the top and sometimes not … weird

      Delete
  4. that's why I said James Bond did it ;-) ..
    ..you're my invisible man :-)))

    ReplyDelete