Tuesday 6 August 2013

Me in my memories again.




I always knew that Adam Crombie, one of the world’s most famous serial killers, was a fantasist and a liar. I always knew he hadn’t killed the 30+ women he confessed to murdering. How? Well because he’s been serving time for a murder that I committed over 30 years ago.
I was an angry young man back then, a real misogynist. I hated women and loved them in equal measure. I hated them because they weren’t interested in me, they didn’t love me in the way I loved them. In fact they didn’t even know that I existed. I was invisible to them. In bars and clubs they didn’t see me, they just saw the idiot jocks with their muscles and stupid jokes and dumb laughs.

One night my friend Erik set me up on a blind date. The girl was nothing special, certainly in my league,  but I could see the look of disappointment in her face as she limply shook my hand. Within fifteen minutes she was feigning a headache and within 30 she was gone; leaving me to nurse my drink alone. But on my way home I saw her, in another bar with a group of friends laughing and joking. Some migraine that was. I snapped, lost control, followed her home, took what I wanted, what she couldn’t bear to give me. The fear in her eyes made me even angrier, why couldn’t a woman just love me for who I am and not see me as a monster. I didn’t mean to kill her, I didn’t mean to do anything, I just lost control.

I lived the next few days in fear, worried that the police would come, which of course they did. But they didn’t seem too bothered. Just wanted to eliminate me from their enquiries, the barmaid had said we had left separately and her friends corroborated it, all I had to do was answer the leading questions they asked me and I was scot-free.

I decided to get out of the country, run away, let the dust settle.  I came to Denmark, got a job, met Ana who was far less shallow than those British girls and had three lovely kids. On the day before our wedding day I read with interest in a small corner of page 7 of the local paper that Adam had confessed to killing the girl I'd killed and would stand trial. It was like a little wedding present, I could bury my dark secret and get on with my new life.
As time went on the whole episode seemed like a dream, like it was someone else in those memories not me. I could put Crombie in my position and be convinced that he was guilty not me.

That was until this morning when suddenly it was me in my memories again. Why? Well  it was all over the news Crombie has changed his story and convinced them that he'd been lying, that he'd made up the whole serial killer thing. All of Crombie’s convictions have been quashed and the police are reopening all the cases.  The article said that  with the advances in DNA profiling they hope to make a number of arrests within a matter of weeks.


If you enjoyed that why not buy my new novel

Maggie’s Milkman? It is now available on Kindle - search 'Milkman Gareth Davies’ (the links are different in different countries)


and on other ebook readers at - 

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/412845

Enjoy



By the way see my interview about the book here


No comments:

Post a Comment