Thursday 1 August 2013

Scenes from an airport departure lounge.




She looked at me with a smile that told me all I needed to know. Apology in her eyes but corporate words on her lips, there was nothing I could do but wait.
She must have been about 10 or 11, she was fighting sleep her head resting on her brother’s shoulder, her eyes heavy, her eye lids so nearly shut. It was a losing battle which she duly lost.
I could see his words before I could hear them, his arms whirled as he talked. Most people with hands free phones are posers for him it was essential.
I watched as her heeled shoe dangled from her stockinged (or tighted) foot. She lazily swung the shoe with her toes unaware of the mesmerising affect it was having on me. Eventually it fell off revealing pink nail varnish beneath the black material.
 He greedily bit into the sausage roll, taking a good third into his mouth, three or four chews and he went for a second bite revealing a mouthful of half chewed pastry meat and gristle. Two more bites and the thing was gone, the only clue to its existence were crumbs on his shirt and a screwed up package on the seat next to him.
She kissed him and smiled, he smiled back, it was nice to see amongst the grey, stern faces some sunshine. She touched his nose and then ran her fingers tenderly down his cheek. There was love in her eyes and in his.
‘Ladies and Gentlemen we regret to announce that Flight 2345 to Prague is subject to further delay.’
A collective groan went up from the assembled travellers, resigned to their fate, stuck in the departure lounge for another hour, united by despair but divided by convention.

5 comments:

  1. I like this site behind your sight.. reminds me "Being John Malkovich" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gareth..will you let us find out more about these stories, now you've finished SFAT? maybe a whole week of SFaAD :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe although might be a bit harder as there is less to go on.

      Delete
    2. lazy boy.. there is nothing hard for a mind like yours ;-)

      Delete
    3. wow! and I.. I was about to dedicate this song to you :-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW0p6vMKnXk
      ..But you surprised me! you're not so lazy after all.. good boy ;-)

      Delete