Tuesday 19 November 2013

The Chalet



This is another song story with lines taken from a song. Can you guess what it is?


Two weeks in Barry Island Butlins with my mum and dad should have been and absolute nightmare for a 13 year old boy. But with a sound track of Sister Sledge, Madonna and Harold Faltermeyer and two new best friends for life, Will and Marion, I still think those two weeks in 1985 were the best holiday of my life. When we weren’t lazing about on the beach all day, we were riding the Waltzers, kicking around in the arcades, or sheltering from the rain. Will and Marion were twins, but so different, he was short and podgy, she was tall and lanky and made the 13 year old me realise that girls weren’t all silly.

On the second Tuesday my mum and dad decided we should go on a day trip to some place with a dodgy Welsh name. I didn’t want to go but the fact that Marion was going shopping with her mum in Cardiff so also wouldn’t be around made the bitter pill easier to swallow.
When we got back, Will was all a fluster. He looked like he was going to burst.
 ‘William tell us what it is.’ Marion said impatiently.
‘I was behind the chalet and I heard it, sex noises, they were doing it.’
Marion and I looked at each other in disbelief.
‘How do you know what sex noises sound like?’ Marion demanded.
‘I don’t, well I didn’t, but I do now.’
‘Did you look in the window?’ I asked.
‘No I couldn’t reach.’
‘We should go there tomorrow.’ Marion had said what I was thinking.

The next day we hid behind the chalets listening for anything that could be described as sex noises. Seagulls croaked overhead and the noise from the fun fair drifted up on the light breeze that cooled the hot sun. But there were no sex noises.

But then we heard it; a man and woman talking from the room above us, then silence then the sound of kissing.
I couldn’t believe it; I was finally going to see how love was made. Marion on her tiptoed feet, could just about see into the room but Will and I were too small and had to rely on each other for bunk ups.

“There getting undressed.’ Marion whispered.
‘Quick Will  give us a bunk.’ A bunk up involved will clasping his hand together to form a step. I was now alongside Marion looking at two naked people. I could feel Marion’s cheek next to mine and could feel her breath on my skin. My holiday’s complete, I thought to myself as I watched the live show through the grimy window.
‘What are they doing?’ Will horse whispered.
‘It’s my turn.’ 
But I wasn’t about to give up my position watching or next to his sister.
‘Oi it’s my turn.’ Will whispered again. ‘You’re too heavy, I’m gonna drop you.’
With that he unclasped his hand and I fell on him bringing Marion down with me all of us laughing in a heap.
‘There’s people outside.’ It was the woman’s voice from the chalet.
‘Run.’ said Marion as we got to our feet and scarpered.
About fifty metres away I felt a thud into my back as something hit me. I looked back to see a Harold Robbins paperback on the floor and an angry naked man hanging out of his window.

Did you guess. This is the song. 




For more Barry inspired stories click here 
   
If you enjoyed that why not buy my new novel

Maggie’s Milkman? It is now available on Kindle search Milkman Gareth Davies



and on other ebook readers at - 


https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/412845

Enjoy


By the way see my interview about the book here



10 comments:

  1. I'm floating into your head .. too much memories condensed into this story .. your ability to peer into the subconscious and mix all of this with reality is impressive. I'm impressed.. you have in your mind what I had missed in mine. :-) tks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha:-) what a charming comment. Adds so much extra flavour into the original story:-)

      Delete
  2. by the way.. taking about sex.. your past stories's links don't work since you changed your blog's name.. i couldn't read the counterbalance story of 'Sex in 80's'

    ReplyDelete
  3. taLking.. no taking.. sorry :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I wish i hadn't changed the blog's name but i like it more .
      anyway the stories are still there and here is the one you talked about
      http://garethsshortstoryblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/sex-in-80s.html
      I might record that tonight to make an audio version

      Delete
    2. .. I like it more too...and I found sex..'s counterbalance story: 'The Painter and the Milky Way' with audio too!.. I suggested to you doing more recordings when you make your 'short break'.. and now this wish comes true! thank you so much :-))) It's your turn, make a wish now ;-)

      Delete
  4. There is no link to the song?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works on mine - but try this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-fXmS_JmvA

      Delete
    2. Thanks:) It works and ... makes you wanna go to the beach:):)

      Delete
  5. oh and this one would make a good archive story too today

    ReplyDelete