Monday 16 December 2013

How many types of Hot Chocolate - A Steve Rant




‘There’s a café next door to my office,’ said Steve, the indignation in his voice alerting Johnny to the impending rant. ‘That says that it sells, well no guess, how many types of hot chocolate do you think it sells?’
Johnny shrugged, ‘I dunno how many types of hot chocolate are there? I wouldn’t have thought there could be more than 5 really and that’s pushing it.’
‘Exactly I rest my case.’ Steve took a swig of beer.
Johnny looked at him suspiciously, surely that couldn’t be rant over, surely there had to be more. Steve had never finished a rant like that and how many types did the shop sell?
‘So?’
‘So what?’
‘How many?’
‘Thirty, thirty different types of hot chocolate. That means you could have a different type of hot chocolate everyday day for a month.’
‘Unless it’s January!’
What?’
‘January has 31 days so you would have to have one twice.’
‘Oh you know what I mean. But what is worse is that somebody had sat down and reinvented something that was perfectly good as it was, not just once but 30 times. What a waste of time and energy. Even for a café owner there must be better uses of their time.’
Johnny nodded.
‘The choice must be bewildering for hot chocolate lovers. Can you imagine being behind them in a queue? Jesus in my experience hot chocolate drinkers are an indecisive enough bunch as it is and that is only when it is with cream or without, give them 29 more options and you could be there all day.’
‘Fair point,’ Johnny smiled.
‘But the other thing about choice is that is causes a sense of ennui, a feeling of regret, modern society has disappointment etched into its soul and its all because of the preponderance of choice, a multitude of options. We can’t have it all but we want it all. So if I order the white chocolate with whipped cream and almonds, then when it arrives I can’t help thinking if I’d have been better off with the dark chocolate and chilli espresso or whatever nonsense theyve come up with. When we were growing up the options were so much more manageable, there was less choice so you could try everything. But these days the choice is too much. I fancy a hot chocolate about once every two years so it would take me 60 years to try every different type.’
Johnny nodded his friend’s irreverent musings had actually produced a thoughtful point.
‘Well, I don’t feel I am missing out on the other types of beer. SO I’ll have the same again. ‘ Johnny said waving his glass in Steve’s face.
The two friends spent the rest of the evening coming up with as many different types of hot chocolate as they could.  


Oh and if you don't believe me here is the photo to prove it. 


2 comments:

  1. Petra Goláňová28 December 2013 at 20:01

    I'd love to have any type right now !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dying for a good strong coffee that will keep me awake all night long:)

    ReplyDelete