Thursday 19 December 2013

The End of the World




This time last year we were all waiting for the year to end, do you remember? The Mayan calendar had run out and that meant the world's time was up. No one ever said how it would end, but you could rest assured that the world would cease to exist on 21st December 2012. In case you haven't noticed, the world didn't end and life drifted on. Which might have been a relief for you but it was a bit awkward for me.
You see this time last year I was lying on a beach in Jamaica, with two more nights reserved in a hotel and only the money I had in my pockets to fall back on. Back home there were a load of bemused, angry people still trying to process the angry tirades I left ringing in their ears.
I'd told my wife I'd never really loved her and only agreed to marry her cos Mandy had turned me down. I told my kids they were selfish little so and sos and told my boss exactly where he could stick his 0.5 percent pay rise and his blue sky thinking.
So there I was homeless and penniless, with my bridges burnt and my credit cards chopped.
I bet you are thinking good, you sound like a nasty little man, that's what you're thinking aren't you? Well, if you are, don't read on cos you ain't gonna like what I've got to say.
You see after the initial panic, I saw it as an opportunity. A chance to start a new. My life had become about other people, I’d got a sensible job to please my dad, I got married and had kids to please my mum and my gran, it was their life not mine. Then I earned money for playstations, station wagons and wagon wheels, I stopped smoking, cut down on drinking, pleasing my boss, my wife, my kids. Everything for them, nothing for me.
Now? Well, I work just enough to pay my bills, the rest of the time I read and write and watch the world, I smoke and drink and party but best of all I smile. So your world might not have ended last year but mine did and I'm happy with this new one.





1 comment:

  1. Why didn't that happen?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-WNBsp15Bc

    ReplyDelete