Wednesday 15 January 2014

Temptation



‘I’m going to get in the shower,’ Lizzie said, leaving me to drink my tea in bed, a grin the size of Liverpool on my face. I got the feeling I was falling in love, no scrap that, I was in love, it’d been 4 weeks now and everything was perfect.
I took a sip of my tea, looked around her room, let the weak winter sunshine bath my face and thought that life was good.
Lizzie’s phone was lying on the bedside table, an iPhone 5s, I’d not seen one in the flesh before so picked it up and span it round in my hand. Out of habit I pressed the home button. The screen lit up, no password. The temptation was all too much, I swiped my finger across the screen to unlock the phone.
Facebook Messenger was on the screen, most of the messages were from her female friends but my eyes were drawn to the one from Bobby, 
‘anyway gotta go he’s here’
 it read and a kiss smiley.
 I should have hit the home button and put the phone down. I know it was none of my business, I know I had already taken a step too far, but why on earth was she sending men kiss smileys and who the hell was this Bobby character? I touched the screen to reveal the whole conversation and scrolled up. The sun disappeared behind a cloud as I did and my good mood evaporated just as quickly.

Bobby: So are you still all loved up?
Lizzie: Yes and No
Bobby: Oh? L
Lizzie: He’s lovely but... I dunno there’s something missing. He’s …
Bobby: Yes?
Lizzie: Just a bit too nice I suppose.
Bobby: Too nice? You’re never happy
Lizzie: I know, I feel terrible, but there’s something missing.
Bobby: Danger?
Lizzie: Yeah, maybe.

Bloody hell, I ran my fingers through my hair, and stared out of the window in disbelief. Tears formed in my eyes, I looked back at the phone, it was about to get worse.

Bobby: and in bed?
Lizzie: Quite good, he’s got potential.

Potential? Potential? Fucking hell. I thought I was doing okay?

Bobby: Out of ten?
Lizzie: a good 6

6? 6? Jesus wept, a 6?

I couldn’t bear to read on but I couldn’t bear to stop either. Tears were rolling down my face.

Bobby: You need a bit of me.
Lizzie: I always need a bit of you Bobby J

I was devastated, the sunshine had poured out of my life, my tea had gone cold.

I put the phone down just in time. Lizzie came bouncing back in to the room.
‘You okay,’ she said without a care in the world.
‘Yeah.’ I managed to croak, ‘I think I might be allergic to something in here. I think I’ll take a shower.’ 
As I stood under the water I cursed myself for looking at the phone, for being nosey. Maybe being blissfully ignorant was better than being painfully aware.
I had a couple of options, I could walk away, leave her to this Bobby character, or I could stay and fight. Lizzie was lovely, but maybe I’d allowed myself to be a bit too keen, a bit too nice, trying too hard to please. Maybe I could stay for a bit, just take what I wanted out of this relationship, be a bit selfish. I closed my eyes and made up my mind.


3 years later I was glad I made the decision I did.  Today’s my wedding day and I can safely say I’ve never been happier. They say the truth hurts and it did but I learnt a lot from that day, especially never read someone else’s messages.

3 comments:

  1. wow... what a good ending. You gave me a lot to think about throughout the day

    ReplyDelete
  2. they were joking as ever.. and of course Bobby is gay :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I go on reading the second part I'll have a guess. Hmmm, he actually married someone else in the end ..... Let's see :-)

    ReplyDelete