Friday 10 January 2014

The Coffee Shop




There was no queue not speak of, so once shed taken my order and passed it on to the barista I thought my coffee would be just moments away. But no, the service in this generic coffee shop was about as slow as a 7 year old getting ready for bed. I was in an irritable mood and the tardy service was not helping. I put my bag and coat down to reserve my place at my favourite table by the window and went back to wait, and wait, and wait while listening to Champagne Supernova on the tinny coffee shop speakers. How long did it take to make a latte?
Eventually the hapless barista poured the coffee into the now lukewarm milk and handed over the cup but when I turned round, coffee in my hand, disaster was unfolding in front of me. I hadnt thought the day could get worse, but some bastard had his hands in my bag, and was going through my things; my iPad, and my passport, and my new headphones were all in there. 
‘Oi’ I shouted and took a step towards him, it felt like I was slowly walking down the hall, but he was leaving late to run away still rummaging in my bag. I was now just three steps away from him, still ridiculously carefully holding my coffee as I made my way towards him. 
Then, he was gone, making his way through the tables and disappearing into the crowds as I put my coffee down. It was too late to chase him, all I could do was check my bag and see what damage had been done. 
Amazingly the iPad was still there, and the passport and the headphones. My ‘oi’ must have scared him. Hed taken nothing although hed had plenty of time had he wanted to. 
I sat down and tried to relax, it was a lucky escape and I'd learn the lesson well, I put two sugars in my coffee instead of one to help with the shock and tried to enjoy the coffee as best I could. I watched the world go by outside the window. 
A woman suffering from a cold was waiting for the bus. Her face was red and her eyes streaming, the dry skin around her nose suggested shed been blowing for Britain, and she struggled to catch her sneezes in her saturated handkerchief. She was a walking contagion and even through the glass I felt her germs spreading and infecting me. I dont know what made me think of it but suddenly I remembered the cheese; Id just bought a nice extra-mature cheddar from the farmers market. I pulled my bag towards me and looked in it again, passport, check, iPad, check, headphones, check, cheese, no check. The bastard had stolen my cheese. Why on earth would somebody steal my cheese? 

Please feel free to leave your answers in the comments below, why would somebody steal my cheese?

11 comments:

  1. To make you chase him? To make you follow the white rabbit to see how deep the rabbit hole goes?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the answer is very simple: he was just hungry? you don't need things like iPad when you are starving. Basic instinct:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This man is a cheese junkie:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was me. I am a perfume maker... I just needed one missing ingredient for my ideal perfume.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because he had mistaken the cheese for cocaine ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So this is my story: the man who steals the cheese is homeless. He has fallen with love with a nice homeless woman. They went for a walk yesterday and found a bottle of chamagne and decided to have a romantic dinner together by the riverside. The only missing thing was the cheese as everybody knows good sparkling wine and good cheese go together. So there he is - hunting for cheese... smelt it and found it:) for his love

    ReplyDelete
  7. So the thief's wife is very bossy and beats him. This afternoon she gave him some money to buy some bread, milk and cheese. But she gave him too little mone and he couldn't buy any cheese. He was afraid to go back home without it and he decided to steal some.... not only women are the victims of domestic violence:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So? what's the answer, Gareth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t know, if i ever find the bastard cheese theief, I’ll tell you :-)

      Delete
  9. What is the lesson would you learn?
    what lesson did you learn? You're still whining about the cheese when important documents, iPad and headphones are all in your hand.

    So, this is the version to make you enjoy your latte :-)
    The one who sold you the cheese gave you by mistake the poisoned cheese that was meant for someone else, so sent a "thief" to follow you to retrieve it .. so yes, you are lucky!.. can you feel it now?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is all too surreal... Like the champagne supernova song...

    ReplyDelete