Sunday 9 February 2014

SF(a)ADL Mr Windmill



On August 1 2013 I published Scenes from an Airport Departure Lounge. Descriptions of people at Heathrow. This week I am expanding on those descriptions a little with some imagined elaborations. 

I could see his words before I could hear them, his arms whirled as he talked. Most people with hands-free phones are posers, for him it was essential. If he were in a disco, you could believe he was doing some kind of fancy dance routine that hed spent hours dreaming up in his bedroom. There was a rhythm to his movement, a logical pattern, progression and repetition. But there was frustration in his voice, like the world was ganging up on him and a delayed flight was the last straw. He looked tired too, no wonder if he expends so much energy over one conversation I thought. He was talking to a wife or husband or lover and their relationship had obviously outlived the myth of trust. 
Honestly darling the plane is delayed... I dunno they havent said. 
His arm redundantly pointed to the woman who was making the announcement - as if his partner could see down the line. 
Check the internet if you don't believe me.  
His hands mimed typing on a keyboard as he spoke. 
No, Im not with anyone else, its just me.
You could almost hear the number of times hed made that same denial by the tone in his voice, you could almost touch the anger and resentment of having to repeat the same line again and again. 
Okay look I'll phone you again when theres more news. 
With that his hands went quiet. But now it was his eyes that were busy, dancing around the departure gate before settling on a blonde woman in a black business suit. He made his way through the throng to join her.
Everything okay?' she asked.
He sighed, same old same old he said with sad eyes, I noticed his arms were less windmilly when talking face to face.
Never mind she said before planting a much more than just good friends kiss on his cheek. 
At least this delay gives us some extra time together.
Windmill man smiled but I was not fully convinced he thought that  was necessarily good news.

6 comments:

  1. poor guy:) must be terribly stressed:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can visualize your words before I can hear them..
    I can feel them like I was there reading the windmill's gestures.. you're a such good writer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fascinating to read the story series backwards - I started with The Sausage Boy and ended up here. I don't know why but have a strange habit of reading the back page first. But this is really interesting..... I suggest that you exploit it somehow in the future :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exploint your habit of reading backwards? maybe I should write a story backwards now that would be a challenge

      Delete
    2. No, no. I mean writing, or rather publishing a series backwards :-D. I once watched a movie made in that way - that was a challenge!!

      Delete
  4. Yeah! a big challenge: a stories full of palindromes and oxymoron.. I suggest you names like Aviva, Otto or Bob.. like here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palindromes_%28film%29

    ReplyDelete