Wednesday 17 September 2014

Paranoid

Everywhere I looked the man was there, taller than me, older too. He had grey hair,  was balding and had smudged glasses that perched on his nose. He just happened to be standing behind me at check in, sitting next to be at the gate, he sat two rows behind on the plane and now, just coincidentally, he was leaning against the same counter as we waited for our baggage.  I could tell he was a cop, he just had that look.
I could tell he was watching me, appraising me. I was his quarry and he was the bounty hunter. He must have known I had the information and I was going to meet Louisa for the hand over. Was he going to intercept me before the meet or wait until the act was in process and catch me red handed? I had to try to lose him.
I wanted to get my luggage quickly so I could get out of the airport and into the taxi before he got his. But maybe there was no bag, why would he have a bag? That would slow him down.
I wondered if he had back up, he didn’t look like he could take me on his own. But looks could be deceptive, I’d learnt that the hard way. I had to make a decision, go ahead with the meet or abandon it?
My bag was first out, I had to get away.
I grabbed at it and headed for the nothing to declare channel. Not looking back, not looking around. I’d get into the taxi and worry about it then. But before I got out of customs, two men intercepted me.  The game was up, the moment had come. 
I tried to look around but I couldn’t see him anywhere but I knew the bastard must have tipped them off.

Everywhere I looked the man was there,
shorter than me, younger too. He had salt and pepper hair, stubble and a dark monobrow. He just happened to be standing in front of me at check in, came to sit next me at the gate, he was just in front of me on the plane and now, just coincidentally, he was leaning against the same counter as we waited for our baggage. I could tell he was a cop, he just had that look.
I could tell he was watching me, appraising me. I was his quarry and he was the bounty hunter. He must have known I had the stolen diamonds and I was on my way to the dealers to make the sale. Was he going to intercept me before the deal or wait until the act was in progress and catch me red handed? I had to try to lose him.
I hoped my luggage would be first out, then I could get away and get in a taxi before he got his bag. But then again maybe he didn’t have a bag and was just waiting for me to collect mine.
I didn’t like the look of him. He looked mean and a little unhinged. The way he appraised me unnerved me. I had to make up my mind, should I go to Mario’s and blow the whole thing or wait a while?
My bag was second out, I had to get away. I grabbed at it and headed for the nothing to declare channel. Not looking back, not looking around. I’d go up to departures, grab a coffee and watch from there. But before I got out of customs, two men intercepted me and whisked me to an interview room. I tried to look around but I couldn’t see him anywhere but I knew the bastard must have tipped them off.




2 comments:

  1. this recording makes my skin creep... somewhat scary

    ReplyDelete