Friday 9 January 2015

Libby



She looked at me with the look of someone who had just sniffed a beautiful flower and got a face full of spider’s web for her troubles. I was well used to that look. It was nothing new. I knew I was a disappointment to her, I knew I hadn’t lived up to her expectations.  I never did these days, whatever I did, however I did it, I’d get that look.
It wasn’t always like that, of course not. She had been a playful little kitten, full of fun and energy and loving everything I did, we had bundles of fun together and there was nothing she liked more than curling up together on the sofa watching a film or listening to music. Back then I didn’t even have to try, she was unconditionally mine. But things change, as Billy Bragg said you have to learn to take the crunchy with the smooth. It didn’t happen over night, it was a gradual decline. Familiarity breeds contempt I suppose. I don’t blame her, it was as much my fault, if not more so. I lost interest in her, didn’t have time for her, lost in work and the internet.  So it wasn’t surprising that she started having more fun when she was out and about than when she was stuck home with me. She became reluctant to come home preferring the company of others. Even when I prepared a meal for her, I often had to call her to get her home.

So these days we don’t so much co-habit as co-exist. She walks around the house sulkily avoiding me whenever possible while I try my hardest to impress her. But the tricks of old don’t work any more and to be honest I’m out of ideas.  So come on people, how do you get a 3-year-old cat to love you again?

14 comments:

  1. Have you tried saying how sorry you are and promise it will not happen again?:-) and maybe add that Libby is the best cat in the world, far better than all the rest?:-) cats love being sure they are the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe, don't use tricks and tell her how much you care about her and what she means to you :-) Yeah, cats love being sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alternatively, you can always tell her she is a daft cow. She will leave, you will forget anf find a new cat. There are plenty of fish in the sea after all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such intimate relationship with a cat is quite weird. Fall in love with a nice neighbour:-) Like here: http://vimeo.com/4949853

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you could just start reading my signs instead of watching and liking the pictures of other cats in facebook all day long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libby, you're a cat, get off my computer and do cat things :-)

      Delete
    2. no:-) - I have to follow this: https://www.facebook.com/paradise4cats.
      and you'd better watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KlmRExaBRM
      you will know I need to be played with at least 5 minutes a day and I need some vibrating toys to be happy:-)

      Delete
    3. Hope the replacement you have found is good

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hope to catch up with audio next week.

      Delete
    2. Audio added and all audio since christmas now recorded and will be added in the next two days

      Delete
  7. thank you:-) good to hear your voice again

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe Libby the cat should be treated with flowers too:-) Like the Libby from today's story:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i liked this story this year - it has got surprising ending - one of your trademarks

    ReplyDelete