Friday 22 May 2015

Coffee Shops


A story inspired by this picture posted on Facebook by Tracey Marsh who has allowed me to use the image

For audio click here 
‘Do you ever go in to Soho Coffee?’ Steve said just as Johnny was taking a mouthful of Guinness.
Johnny shook his head, with a worried look in his eye. He could sense Steve was going into rant mode.
‘Well, you know in these coffee places they often have a list of drinks on the cup for the server to tick and pass to the barista, so they know what to make? ’
Johnny nodded, ‘I am aware of that.’ he said.
‘Well I went to Soho Coffee today and they have this quirky little thing; as well as the list of drinks they have a tick box that says Lovely Person.’
‘That’s fun.’ said Johnny, wondering how his friend could turn this into a problem. ‘But I’m surprised you even noticed it.’
‘I wouldn’t have, but the woman in front of me ordered a skinny latte or whatever and when she got her coffee she let out a little squeal and showed her friend the cup. She’d been nominated as a lovely person. “That’s made my day that has?” she said to her mate and then she left the café with a spring in her step.’ Steve took a gulp of beer.
‘Then the barista gave me my cappuccino, out of curiosity I had a look to see if I made the cut, if I too was a lovely person. ‘
Johnny really didn’t know which way this would go. He couldn’t decide if his mate Steve would be annoyed by being called a lovely person, or if not being called lovely, would get his dander up.
‘And?’ Johnny said.
‘I wasn’t a lovely person, if it made the woman’s day, it completed pissed on my chips, coffee had never tasted so bitter and yes I have drunk instant.’
‘Well can you blame them? You are a belligerent bastard at times, well all the time now I come to think of it.’
‘Well yes but how could they tell that, all I said was one cappuccino please, and before you say it, yes I smiled.’  Steve said, looking slightly hurt.
‘So don’t worry about it,’ Johnny said, actually feeling a bit sorry for his mate, ‘it sounds like a bit of a sleazy, sexist thing; was a guy who served you?’
‘No, it was a bloody woman.’ Steve said. ‘I left the shop with lead in my boots. I tell you. What gives bloody baristas the right to decide on my personally like some kind of teenager playing on Tinder?’
‘I bet you wouldn’t have minded if she’d ticked the lovely person box though.’ Johnny said.
‘I might have done,’ Steve said defensively, ‘Want another?’
Johnny nodded letting his mate go to the bar and letting him off the hook. 

No comments:

Post a Comment