Thursday 30 July 2015

The Silver Bullet part 3

For part 1 click here, for part 2 click here
For audio click here
To buy Maggie's Milkman for £1.99 click here 
Right let's get on with the story. 

Hristov smiled when he saw me, his smile was much more genuine than Wilson’s. He was my new best friend and I knew he’d answer my questions.
‘Getting bored of Molly,’ he said. He always said this. He’d told me I could have any girl I wanted when Molly got too much.
‘She’s still a star,’ I said and nodded towards his office.  We went in and he poured the drinks, not out of the expensive bottle I noted.
‘What can I do for you Archer?’
‘Your name came up in conversation,’ I said. He looked suitably interested, ‘about a death threat.’
‘Archer,’ he looked a little irate, ‘you know I don’t do death threats.’
No, you just kill the bastards, I thought to myself but I was wise enough not to say it.
‘I know Hristov, but I am collecting information, how well do you know Wayne Wilson?’ I asked.
Hristov looked blank for a moment, then seemed to remember the name. ‘Financier?’ He asked. I nodded. ‘Sleazy son of a bitch?’ He added.
Hristov ran a brothel, he knew sleaze when he saw it.
‘Born again sleaze,’ I said, this time Hristov nodded.
‘He wanted to borrow some girls,’ Hristov said. ‘Had some big function, wanted to impress some investors. We had a little argument about the bill, nothing too serious, he just wasn’t keen on paying.’
‘But you persuaded him?’ I said. Hristov smiled, telling me all I needed to know.
‘We came to an understanding,’ he said. I knew Hristov, I knew from personal experience he didn’t hold a grudge, if Wilson had paid, it was the end of the matter.
‘You know someone called Knoyle?’ I asked. Storm clouds drifted across Hristov’s face, he knew him all right.
‘I’m a busy man, Archer. Got to get on.’
‘C’mon Hristov,’ I said. ‘You know what you tell me stays with me.’
‘He’s a drug dealer,’ Hristov said quietly. ‘I try to keep my girls clean but he is persistent. We fall out from time to time. He got a bit more heavy after Santa died. Be careful if you go after him.’ I thanked my new friend and headed away. Maybe there was more to this than met the eye.

I found Andrews exactly where I expected to find him, propping up the bar in Copelands. He looked the worse for wear already, but that suited me. The drunker he was the more he would sing.
‘Get the man I drink,’ I said to the barman and put a note on the bar. Andrews looked at me wearily.
‘Tell me about Wayne Wilson,’ I said.
‘What’s to tell?’
‘Does he make any trouble?’
‘He’s small fry, thinks he’s a player but he’s neither one thing or another. On the edge of legal, as I said, there’s nothing to tell.’
‘How about this business with his wife?’ I signalled to the barman to refill our glasses.
‘You mean the bullet?’ He said, I nodded.
‘Fuss about nothing, if you ask me, she’s invented the whole thing.’
That thought had crossed my mind.
‘What do you know about Knoyle?’ I asked.
‘Now he is a player. You be careful with that name,’ Andrews slurred.
‘Second time I’ve heard that today.’ I said.
‘Well, whoever you speak to gives you good advice.’ The copper said.
‘Where can I find him?’ I asked.
‘He’s a drug dealer, Archer, they are only found when they want to be.’
‘Give me a clue.’ I said.
‘Try Rayer’s.  A little bird told me he’s set up shop there.’

I put some more money on the bar and walked out. It was time to head home. Molly was waiting for me.

For part 4 click here (available from Saturday 1st August)
To buy my second novel, Extraordinary Rendition click here

No comments:

Post a Comment