Saturday 1 August 2015

The Silver Bullet Part 4

Advert: 
This free short story is brought to you by the author of Maggie's Milkman and Extraordinary Rendition. 


For part 1 click here, for part 2 click here, and part 3 here
For audio click here

I was restless, I’d told Molly all about Wilson, Hristov and Knoyle, she was a good listener. She told me she knew Knoyle. She said he used to hang around Cupcakes. Then, one day, Hristov and him had a falling out. Rumour had it he’d done a big drugs deal with the Russians and bought Rayer’s with the proceeds. He’d tried to recruit some of the girls before Hristov got wind and sent him packing. Molly suggested we take a little walk down to the club, I didn’t think it was a place to take a lady, in fact it wasn’t much of a place for a gentleman either, but she’d insisted.
Rayer’s was the kind of dive where you’d expect to find a drug dealer. The original Rayer had died mysteriously a few years before, it had changed hands a few times since then, but it was still dark, dirty and unwelcoming,; you only went there if you wanted something.
‘Is the boss around?’ I said to the adolescent behind the bar.
‘Who wants to know?’ he replied. Bloody Hollywood, I thought, gives every kid their clichéd lines.
‘Just get him,’ I said, Molly put her hand on mine and smiled at me. She was telling me to be careful.
‘Please,’ I added. The barman turned and went out back.
‘Hello Darling, good to see you again,’ Knoyle was all glitz and gold. Hiding in plain sight. He obviously remembered Molly from Cupcakes. ‘Looking for a job?’ He said.
‘Hi, I’m Archer Stanley,’ I cut in, offering my hand.
‘I know who you are,’ he said to me. I didn’t know if he was being genuine or if it was another Hollywood line.
He did me the honour of accepting my handshake, his eyes fixed to mine as our skin touched.
‘Can I ask you a few questions?’ I said.
‘You can ask,’ he smiled, ‘but I might not answer.’ He was a smart arse, the kind of kid who thought money bought respect. I was glad I had Molly with me, I had the feeling the scumbag wouldn’t have given me the time of day without her around. He was obviously trying to impress her.
‘What can you tell me about Wayne Wilson?’ I said.
Knoyle looked at me. I didn’t like his eyes, they seemed to penetrate my brain.
‘Wilson? He’s a customer, not a very good one.’
‘Is he married?’ I asked.
‘How would I know?’
‘He owes you money?’ I said.
Knoyle was still staring at me. He nodded.
‘Drugs?’ I asked. He didn’t look very happy at my line of questioning. ‘Hey I’m not the police, I’m just trying to paint a picture.’ I said.
‘Well you’re a lousy artist,’ I smiled, it was a good line. ‘I think you better leave,’ he added.
‘How much did he owe you?’ I asked, ignoring his advice.
‘If you are ever looking for work darling, you know where I am,’ He said to Molly. He turned away.
‘Enough for you to have him killed?’ I watched him shift from one foot to another.  
He turned around and took a step towards me.
‘Mr Stanley, I don’t know what you think you know about me, but I am not in the business of getting people killed.’
‘Do you still sell guns?’ I looked at Molly, I’d never heard her voice sound so determined.
‘Hey little lady where did you hear that?’
‘Answer the question,’ I said.
‘Did you sell a gun to Wilson?’ It was Molly again. ‘Is that why he owes you big money?’
‘So let me get this straight,’ I said, not letting him answer. ‘You sold a gun to Wilson, he didn’t pay you, you send his wife a death threat. Is that how it is?’
‘It’s a nice little story to tell the police,’ Molly said.
‘They’d be all over here like a rash.’ I added keeping up the double act.
Knoyle looked at Molly and then at me, he was trying to work out if we were being serious. I smiled at him.
‘Let’s go Molly, we’ve got all we need.’
‘Ok,’ Knoyle said, ‘I did sell Wilson a gun and bullets, and no he hasn’t paid me yet,’ he looked genuinely hurt. ‘But I didn’t send any death threats. I’m no coward, Mr Stanley, I sort out my problems face to face.’
I nodded, I never for one second thought he’d sent the bullet. But he’d told us all we needed to know. Wilson had sent us on a wild goose chase but the geese had led us back to him.

‘Sorry,’ Molly said as we walked home.
‘No need to be sorry kid, you did great.’ I smiled at her. ‘But tell me, how did you know he sold weapons?’
‘I didn’t,’ she confessed, ‘it was a lucky guess. Call it women’s intuition.’
‘You’re good,’ I said.

‘I’ve got the best teacher,’ she replied and gave me a little kiss on my cheek as we walked.

Did you enjoy this free short story? If you did, then please consider buying one or both of my novels. Details available here.

3 comments:

  1. What a nice surprise to have a story from you on Saturnay:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the link from twitter to the whole story doesn't work

    ReplyDelete