Thursday 25 February 2016

The Bus Stop

For audio click here 
Twenty-five years ago I sat in this very bus stop on this very road waiting for the number 74 bus. Like today the bus was late, the rain was bucketing down and the wind was whipping the rain along the road like a sandstorm. Twenty-five years - the makes and models of the cars have changed, one or two of the houses have had a lick of paint and the seagulls have got fatter, but not much else has is different.
Madeline the Rag Doll
I was sitting with Siany, lovely Siany, with her black hair and green eyes and slightly rag doll posture. Not in a bad way, she was like Madeline the rag doll from Bagpus and she’d been my girlfriend for eighteen months by then and I still couldn’t believe how lucky I was. How had this average Joe ended up with a girl like that?
“Where’s that bloody bus?” I said.
“You know it’s always late.” she kissed me on the cheek and smiled.
“I’m gonna count ten cars going past, if the bus ain’t here by ten, I’ll ask you to marry me.”
“Bloody hell I hope it hurries up then,” she said.
“One,” A red Corsa splashed by us. “Two,” a black Sierra went by in the opposite direction.
“Hey that don’t count.” Siany said, they can only go in the direction of the bus.
“Don’t you wanna marry me?” I said.
“Is that your proposal? How bloody romantic.” she stood up and went to the edge of the shelter looking for the bus then jumping back as cars two, three and four sent a spray of rain in our direction.
“Nine.” I said as a silver mini went by. “And I’m only going to ask, you can say no.”
An Allegro Vanden Plas
A peach coloured Austin Allegro Vanden Plas chugged by us. “Look at the state of that,” I said. “That shouldn’t even be allowed on the road. It’s a fucking wreck. How on earth did that get through its MOT?”
“Mr Joe Edwards,” Siany said. I looked at her; I secretly liked it when she used my full name. “I think you are changing the subject.”
“What?” I said.
“Well that was car number ten. Don’t you have something to ask me?”
“The bus,” I said and jumped up. We both flashed our passes at the driver and went to sit down.
“Um Joe,” Siany said. “At least give me the chance to turn you down.”
“Okay,” I said “Will you marry me.”
“Do it properly,” she said, gesturing that I should go on one knee.
“What here?” I looked around, Mrs Parker from next door was down at the front and Lou and Greg were three seats in front. I could propose, even in jest in front of them.
“Yes here.” she said.
I slipped off the seat.
“Will you marry me?” I said again.
“Do you mean it?” she asked. God for someone who was gonna say no she was putting on a show.
“Of course,” I said not even convincing myself.
“In that case,” I could feel wetness seep into my jeans where my knee touched the floor. I wish she’d just say no so I could get back up on the seat.
“In that case,” I could feel Mrs Parker watching me.
“Yes.” she said.
“What?”
“If you meant it that is,” she suddenly looked unsure.
I thought for a moment. I didn’t mean it, it was just a silly game, but she’d said yes and now what? There was a happiness in her eyes, I couldn’t say I didn’t mean it now could I?
“Of course I meant it,” I said sounding even less convincing than last time. “Can I get up now?”
She pulled me up onto the seat and hugged me. She cried tears of joy, I cried tears of panic.

Twenty –five years ago today. Funny how I still remember like it was yesterday. Sometimes I still feel that panic. I still wonder why I didn’t tell her what I was really thinking. But let’s face it, after nearly twenty-five years of a mostly happy marriage it’s too late to back out now. 

4 comments:

  1. I think you once wrote about one of these thieves:-)
    http://garethsshortstoryblog.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-coffee-shop.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this on the wrong story? And yes I just this minute shared that as my archive story. Great minds think alike.

      Delete
  2. oh yes, i am sorry - i put this comment here by mistake. and I wasn't aware you put it as an archive.. I must have been looking for this story while you were posting it on FB... i did not remember the title so it took me a long time to spot it

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story is lovely as well as the pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete