Friday 11 March 2016

Poems Day 5

So we've reached the last day of my poetry take over. 
In the past I have shared my short story poems and my Christmas ones. This week I am sharing poems I have written since starting my creative writing MA. These are called my non-poet's poems. Today there there are 3 poems and a Cardiff haiku. 

I don't really call myself a poet, but I am growing in confidence, as you can tell by the ever evolving title of this week's posts. So any feedback, any constructive criticism is welcome. If you are looking for my stories, then click here.


For audio click here 

For day 1 click hereday 2 here, day 3 here and day four here


The Places I’ve Lived
Am I still there
where I first tasted beer,
and got battered by bullies
outside the Oak?

Am I still there
where we made love by The Lake,
and the stardust
didn’t last for ever?

Am I still there
where she crashed my heart,
but German engineering
saved the day?

Am I still there
where I first kissed her face,
and walked across the square
after the snow?

Am I still there
where I took lessons in love,
and smoked cigarettes
with the city below?

Am I still there
where I built up a home,
and then took it down
brick by brick?

Am I still there
where I didn’t belong,
but made myself part
of her furniture?

I’m here,

but am I still there?

Not for the creationists
As she walked  away from me
I had to believe
she was walking towards me
just taking the long way round.

No
No is a simple word,
often sugared with platitudes.
A ‘no’ can be a bitter pill to swallow
but silence is just bitter.

Cardiff Haiku 
Cardiff Spring
Rain on daffodils.
Umbrellas, puddles, raincoats,
a rainbow overhead

4 comments:

  1. You had great idea with this poem week. It's been a long time since I read poetry every day. And I think this is just a perfect way to start a busy day: some beauty, some reflection, some fun:-)
    What I like about your poems is they are often not to obvious and they make you spend some time thinking" What did the poet mean here?"... :-)
    and I think sometimes we need silence to think things over , to make emotions quiet, to distance ourselves from the world... it is necessary sometimes, just like unhappiness and sadness - if you didn't have unhappy and sad moment you would not know what happiness and joy is (although happy and beautiful moments happen really rarely in our lives, but it's worth living for them I suppose)
    and hope you are still there next week with either stories or poems...

    p.S. I wrote a comment yesterday but it is not here. Has it got lost in cyberspace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comments, good to hear.
      I think your comment from yesterday appears on Wednesday's post. :-)

      Delete
    2. oh no, not the 1 o'clock one:-)The one I mean must have been swallowed by cyberspace. I will try to reconstruct then what I was thinking about while I should have been listening to someone else :-) - see? this is the side effect of reading poetry - being distracted from work

      Delete
  2. Great poems today :-)

    ReplyDelete