Tuesday 25 April 2017

The Frog

For audio click here 
“So, then right,” Johnny said, “I waved my magic wand and Luke turned into a frog.”
“Did you?” I said, trying to muster any enthusiasm I could find.
“Yes, but Mrs Jacobs told me to turn him back, so I had to. But he deserved it.”
“You didn't really .though, did you?”
“I did,” Johnny said. I rolled my eyes. “If you don't believe me, I'll turn you into a frog.”
“Look kid,” I said. You're not Harry Potter and you don't go to Hogwarts. You're just a valley's kid and I hate to tell you magic doesn't happen in the Rhondda.”
“It does too” Johnny looked like he was going to cry. “I'll show you.” He waved his Harry Potter wand that had cost his mother a near fortune.  “Allacadabra.” “Shouldn't it be abracadabra?” I said laughing. I coughed and spluttered. “See,” I squeaked, “nothing happened. No magic,” I squawked. Johnny was smiling at me.
My skin was getting tighter, my knees started to ache. Something was happening.
“What’s going on?” I croaked. “Johnny!”
I could hear Johnny laughing.
“Rebit,” I said. “Rebit, rebit rebit.”
Johnny ran up the stairs, leaving me hopping mad.
What was I going to tell Ffion? So much for trying to impress her with my parenting skills. She’d only been gone five minutes and I was already a frog.  
“Rebit,” I yelled at Johnny, but he ignored me.

I heard the key in the lock.
“Rebit,” I said. 

Ffion looked at me. “Johnny, get down here at once,” she said. She put her shopping down and threw out her left hand, fingers spread. “Tenfactodepaceo,” she yelled.
“Rebit,” I said. My skin stretched, my knees felt freer.  I could flex my arms, my legs.
“I'm really sorry,” Ffion said. “It usually means he likes you,” But I wasn't there to hear her. I was running down the path as fast as my legs could carry me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment