Wednesday 19 April 2017

Wedding Bells

For audio click here
2004
I looked at my watch and adjusted my tie. Elena had exactly seven minutes to get here or else we’d miss our slot and the next couple would be making their vows in front of the registrar and we’d have to reapply. 
“She’s not coming,” I said to Alex. 
“She’ll be here,” he said tapping his foot in time with music only he could hear. 
I looked at my watch again. 
“Don’t worry,” Alex said. “She’s my sister. I know she’ll be here.”
And no sooner had he said the words than there she was, hurrying down the street, with Simona in tow. 
“Hi,” she said. 
“Come on,” I replied, “If we’re not in there in six minutes, we’ll have to wait.” 
“It’s okay,” Elena said. “I’m not going to marry you.”
“What?” 
“I’ve met someone else. He asked me to marry him.”
I looked at Elena and then at Alex. He shrugged. 
“His name is Pavel. You should meet him, you’d love him.” 
I smiled. “Congratulations,” I said, as I began to loosen my tie. “A drink to celebrate?” I headed off towards the pub, never feeling more relieved in all my life. 
Don’t get me wrong, I liked Elena, but it was only a marriage of convenience, a favour to her brother, my best friend, I had a magical British passport and marrying me meant she could stay in the Czech Republic and hopefully get a European passport. Now she’d met a local, she didn’t need me. I was only too happy to be jilted. 

2019
“They’re going to kick me out,” I said to Alex. 
“Don’t be daft,” he said. 
“I’ve never had residency, I don’t speak the lingo, I’ve not really got any special skills, as soon as this Brexit thing happens, I’ll be sent back to little Britain.” I took a long gulp of beer. “This is a fucking disaster.” 
“Don’t worry,” Alex said, “I’ve got a plan.” 
I looked up at him. “Really?”
“Why don’t you marry my sister?”
“Elena?”
“Yeah, I’m sure she would. You were willing to marry her all them years back. Well, maybe now she can do you a favour. Hang on.” Alex got out his phone and babbled in Romanian. Then, he smiled.  “She’ll do it,” he announced, “as long as you don’t jilt her at the altar;like she did to you.”

I looked at my watch and adjusted my tie. Elena had exactly seven minutes to get here or else we’d miss our slot and the next couple would be making their vows in front of the registrar and we’d have to reapply. 
“Here she is,” said Alex. “Welcome to the family, mate. Second time lucky.”

1 comment:

  1. The second time can´t be lucky:-).
    The story mustn´t be continued:-).

    ReplyDelete