Tuesday 4 July 2017

Debs and Saz

For audio click here 
For part one click here, two click here, three click here and four click here.
Be warned - very strong language.


Debs looked at her new cell mate. Her face was so pale she looked almost translucent, and she was so thin she could have used the sleeve of one of Debs’s tops as a dress. There was no way she lived on the estate. No way, she’d had her home ripped away from her.
            “Who are you then?” Debs said.
            “I’m Sarah Edwards.”
            “Oh, Sarah Edwards, charmed I’m sure.”
            “But my friends call me Saz,” Saz added.
            “Do they now? Well, I’m Debs, everyone calls me Debs. Let me fucking out of here,” Debs banged on the door making Saz jump.
            “Fragile little thing, aren’t you?” Debs smiled. She watched Sarah Edwards hug her knees and edge further into the corner.
            “I don’t bite, you know?” Debs said. “Look, we’re both in this together, we may as well be friends.” Debs offered her hand and Saz tentatively shook it.
            “Did they take your home too?”
            “Home? No, they didn’t take it, but I dread to think what they did to it. Why, did they take yours?”
            Debs told her story.
            “That’s outrageous,” Saz said. “Where are you supposed to go?”
            “Well, they seem to have supplied me with a nice little room here.”
Debs boomed with laughter and then hammered the door again. “Don’t think I’ve forgotten about you, you cu… vermin. Excuse my French. So, come on, what’s your story.”
            “My boyfriend is a human rights monitor, he’s been collecting info about the regime. and taking it to Brussels. He says freedom is like salami.”
“They slice away at it one slice at a time and without noticing it, it’s all gone.” Debs completed the line for her.
“How did you know?”
“It’s an old Czech saying,” Debs said. Debs saw the way Saz was looking at her. “Don’t judge a book by the cover darling, there’s more to this woman than meets the eye. So, where’s your boyfriend now.”  
“Greg? He’s there, in Brussels, he called me this morning telling me he had a tip off. Told me to get out of the house. I got out but the police picked me up and brought me here.”
“Well, my darling, it looks we’re both in a bit of a predicament, doesn’t it?”
“I can’t believe they took your house, why?”
“Cos we’re poor, cos we’re the wrong colour, they want us all in one place. Did you see them, the soldiers, what did you notice?”
“They were young.”
“Try again.”
“They were all men.”
“Try again.”
 “They were all white.” Debs answered her own question.
Saz nodded, stood up and walked over to the door, she curled her fingers into a fist and hammered on the steel. “Let us out of here you fucking c*nts,” she yelled.

Debs smiled grew from ear to ear. “That’s my girl,” she said.  

3 comments:

  1. Is the car with Chloe heading for the cell too?:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think so, but certainly a similar tone.

      Delete
  2. That´s a pity, you would have had 11 pages of a novel:-)

    ReplyDelete